These Sausage rolls made with our traditional English Sausage meat are the perfect snack for any time of the year.
Makes about 20
▪ 30g butter
▪ 1 medium onion finely chopped
▪ 100g button mushrooms, finely chopped
▪ 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
▪ 1 tbsp dried thyme (optional)
▪ salt and freshly ground black pepper
▪ 500g Rolled puff pastry
▪ 1 free-range egg, beaten
▪ 450g/1lb sausage meat (you can use our honeyroast sausagemeat or if you prefer
take the skins off some sausages of your choice, simply split the skin and dip them in
cold water, the skin will come away easily)
▪ Preheat the oven to 200ºC
▪ Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms until soft, then add the onion and also cook until soft add the thyme and let mixture sit for a minute.
▪ Transfer to a large bowl.
▪ Add the Worcestershire sauce and sausage meat and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
▪ Roll the puff pastry out into a large rectangle, then cut into two long rectangles.
▪ Place a layer of sausage meat mixture down the middle of each pastry rectangle, then brush each with beaten egg on one edge.
▪ Fold the other side of the pastry over onto the egg-washed edge. Press down to seal and trim any excess. Cut each pastry roll into 8-10 small sausage rolls.
▪ Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray and transfer to the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and golden and the sausage meat is completely cooked through.